Resources and FAQs
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, slightly over 5 percent of the 65+ population occupy nursing homes, congregate care, assisted living, and board-and-care homes, and about 4.2 percent are in nursing homes at any given time. The remainder is depending on the long-term care, such as VANTAGE Home Wellness Solutions.
Long-term care is not an easy topic for many of us to discuss with loved ones and delaying the conversation can result in being blindsided by the difficult facts (provided by U.S. Department of Health and Human Services):
- 70% of those who live past age 65 will need some form of long-term care at some point
- More than 90% of American adults don’t have long-term care insurance.
- 59% of Americans are uncomfortable talking to their families about long-term care
- The cost of care, whether in the home or at a living facility, can get as high as $87,000 a year or more for nursing home care.
Providing care to an aging loved one can be overwhelming. Our four decades of experience in the care of aging adults has allowed us to gather multiple resources to help you navigate the process so you can focus your energy on spending time together with your loved one. And when you need help, VANTAGE Home Wellness Solutions is ready.
- AARP’s Prepare to Care: A Planning Guide for Families is a guide to help you through the caregiving planning process.
- Signs your loved one needs home care assistance
- Ohio Health offers a wonderful infographic and Senior Fall Prevention Checklist
- The website careforagingparents.com offers a great organizer if you need assistance with managing your caregiving duties.